Friday, August 8, 2008

This is really happening, isn't it?

My student visa arrived in the mail today, and I've sent the last tuition check, and yeah, I'm really going to Italy. I don't know why I'm having such a hard time believing it. It's just been such a distant dream for so long that, even though I've spent a long time working to make it happen, the idea that it actually would happen seemed less fact than faith.

The first time I even thought of doing something like this was when I first studied with 500 Clown--so, fall 2003? I remember Paul talking about the year he spent at Dell'Arte as a gift to himself. And I understood it logically then, but now--I'm as surprised and delighted as if I'd just opened a fantastic present.

Can't really linger over this post because there's so much to do: the car to clean out and sell, the Italian to study. I think I have a pretty solid hold on the past tenses now. I love that Italian has a sort of plupluperfect, the trapassato remoto, for events occurring before the events in the pluperfect, the trapassato prossimo. It does make you understand the poetic appeal of the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis, however wobbly the science: in Italy you're not just a woman with a past; you can be a woman with a remote past, an immediate past, an imperfect past, an absolute past.

I should go work on the future tenses, and that's not just metaphor.

No comments: