Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Happy New Year

2008 has been the kind of year that defies synopsis. There was the whole long wretched winter, the loss of far too many beloved people, the layoff, the car. But there was also clowning, working with Strange Tree, going to New York with Joe, starting a couple of really exciting writing projects, and of course studying in Italy.

I haven't yet made any resolutions for 2009, because it feels as though as soon as I came back from Italy I dove into something quite like the life I want to have. I've been pursuing performance and writing opportunities with a vigor (and, to my own surprise, an enjoyment) unlike anything I've had before. It feels strangely good. Really good. Strong.

To some extent, I guess, this is just the confidence born of experience. I've been out in the world doing this stuff for about ten years, now, and apparently that's the magic amount of time. And it's hard not to emerge from a program like the ADA without some concrete knowledge of your own abilities.

Some of this confidence, though, comes from the really astonishing and wonderful support of my friends and family. This was a big, risky year for me, involving several giant leaps of faith. It would have been so much harder, if not impossible, without all the little messages of support, the hugs, even the comments on this blog--to say nothing of the car trips, the visits, the mail collection, subletting the apartment, watering the plants, saving copies of the November 5 Chicago newspapers.

For 2009, I wish you all this kind of sustaining love, support, courage, and passion. And I hope you use it to challenge yourself in some crazy, ridiculous, wonderful way.

1 comment:

rosebud said...

10 years....hmmm...interesting to think about that. Happy New Year-and good-bye to crazy 2008 with its ups and downs, snow, ice and beautiful days at the beach. I framed and hung my Mysterious Elephant poster so you can inspire me-and make me smile-every morning while I have my first cup of coffee. Thanks-I'm so glad you and your family are a part of my life now.