Wednesday, May 27, 2009

R.I.P. Will Schutz

Will Schutz, a beloved fixture of Chicago's storefront theater scene, passed away on Monday. Kris Vire offers a lovely tribute in TimeOut.

This brings the tally to four very talented performers I've known who have died far before their time in the past two years. At least two of them were either uninsured or underinsured.

It will not come as a surprise to anyone who knows me that I don't particularly think the insurance system works. To put it bluntly (since history will not be kind to them either), in the eternal human war on suffering, most health insurance companies are profiteers.

Jesus. Moments like this make a girl need to do something. Death makes me resent every minute I spend in line, or negotiating contracts for day work, or answering calls from telemarketers. I am, at this point, massively impatient. It feels as though it's time to expect more from myself.

No comments: